Feb 9, 2018
SOBS gets a new BLOG site. Firstly let’s explore why we wanted a BLOG site for SOBS.
- A place where we can write about the changes to the operation of applications or features within applications. These will affect schools all over the world, so we want to let people know about the change, how it impacts their day-to-day lives, how to avoid it, how to utilise it, and of course why we did it.
- There are many times when we are thinking about improvements to the current applications, of the introduction of new applications. We are hoping this will also be a place where we can talk about those new ideas and perhaps get some feedback.
- From time to time we have to perform system maintenance – notifications of those will also be published here.
- In the unlikely event of unavailability of the SOBS site, we can also keep in touch with you via this site as it is hosted separately to the main SOBS applications.
Secondly, how do people subscribe / unsubscribe?
- We started by importing a list of all the current users with SOBS Administration security. Previously we have only be writing to a single ‘primary contact’ SOBS Administrator, however the messages we sent out didn’t always reach the people we needed to. With this new BLOG any body with an email address and a name can subscribe. By adding the current SOBS Administrators to the subscribed list we are effectively kick-starting the BLOG.
- At the bottom of each email that is sent from the BLOG site there is an ‘Unsubscribe’ link. We don’t ask any questions, we’re not trying to trick anybody, if you want to unsubscribe you are welcome to do so.
- Options to subscribe and unsubscribe are also available on the ‘My profile’ page within SOBS. Simply click the “Edit” button on the My Profile page, scroll towards the bottom of the page and you will find the option to subscribe or unsubscribe accordingly.
What’s the new look?
- In 2016 we started a process to update our product design. It was slow getting started but in late 2017 we had a new style guide and some help in getting the building blocks together for the new site. In 2018 we will be implementing this new style into the main SOBS site and each application in turn. It is going to take a while, so please be patient.
- The BLOG site and the new HELP site have mimicked the style guide, however there are still improvements we are wanting to add to this sites. Again, we appreciate your patience as we work through all of the features we want to deliver.
Are we going to bombard you with messages?
- Our plan is to send out a newsletter once per term that will highlight a number of the recent articles we have published. We will keep writing through the term, and you are welcome to visit the site at any time, but we don’t want to become annoying.
- If we become annoying please let us know.